Thursday, December 16, 2010

Book Blogger Hop (2)

Book Blogger Hop

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jennifer at Crazy for Books, to help book bloggers and readers interact, and to find new blogs. Every week, a question is posted for participants to answer.

Question:
"What do you consider the most important in a story: the plot or the characters?"

Answer:
As a writer, the best answer I can give is that both are essential to a good story. You can have the best plot in the world, but if the characters are too weak, the story will fall flat on its face. On the other hand, you can have the best, most dynamic characters in the world, but if the plot isn't interesting, then it's a good bet few people would want to read it.

Personally, though, I might say that character wins, if only by a very small margin. I've finished a book on the merit of a character more than once before, and I've often found it rewarding. It's the characters, after all, who tell the stories; we as readers experience their lives as our own. If a character is dull, then it so follows that the story will also be dull. On the other hand, if a character has some interesting qualities, then the story will be that much better because of it. I'll also say this: it's much more difficult, at least for me, to come up with strong characters than with a strong plot.

Hoppy happing!

10 comments:

  1. Hi new follower , I am having trouble answering this because one time I might like the one over the other. Happy Holidays

    My Follow Friday/Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im a plot girl :) Im a new follower www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Visiting from the Hop and am you new follower! Your blog looks promissing, it seems we think alike. I think a good book needs both a good plt and good characters.

    http://beyondstrangenewwords.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by to say Hi! I agree that this was a difficult decision. In the end I choose plot, but went back and forth about twenty-seven times… Stop by and say hi when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that both are important but give a choice, I prefer characters over plot. But both are important. Happy Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday Follows! I'm your newest follower and I'm a character person. Drop by my blog and see my answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Stopping by via the hop. I'm your newest follower, you've got a great blog! Feel free to stop by my blog www.crazy-bookworm.blogspot.com.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of good answers to this week's tough question.

    Hopping by from the blog hop.

    Stop by my blog to see my answer to this week's question.

    Also check out a design site I found...pretty neat home decorating ideas...it is in the right side panel on my blog.


    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm with you in that strong, fun, real characters trump plot almost every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for swinging by my blog! Characters are always the winners for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...