Thursday, December 2, 2010

International News Tidbits

I realize how long it's been. But I've begun another project--or rather, the same project, but with a different method. More on that later.

In the meantime, I've recently been inspired to write a little something about current events that might just pertain to some seemingly random things. I would appreciate any reactions you might have to hearing these things, but please keep it polite. No one needs flaming trolls, while I do encourage discussion, if anyone begins trolling their comments will be deleted.


1.) The United States government is allowing the emergency unemployment benefits enacted in 2009 to expire. This means that thousands of unemployed people will not only be without jobs, but without money.

2.) On November 23, North Korea bombed the South Korean island of Yeongpyeong. This was the first organized attack since the official ending of the Korean War in 1953.

3.) In response to the attack on South Korea, the United States requested that China help stop the aggression of North Korea. The problem: while China may is an ally of the United States, it is still a close ally of North Korea, and so does not want to provoke hostilities with either of them. The United States, on the other hand, has declared that they will support South Korea in any way they can.

4.) On October 4, 2010, reservoirs on an aluminum plant in Hungary broke, releasing almost two hundred-million gallons of toxic red mud.

5.) Scientists in the United States have trained a bacterium taken from Mono Lake, California, to eat arsenic.

6.) Testing for HIV, or Human Immunodeficiency Virus, has reached an all-time high in the United States.


I'm looking for reactions. How do you feel about hearing these things? Is any of this information surprising or shocking to you? Was any of it new information, or had you heard it before? Which of these news tidbits do you consider to be the most important, or the most relevant to your life? Do any of them make you want to know more about the subject?

Please remember that there are no right or wrong answers to these questions. I'm looking for honest responses to international news--yes, I'm aware that a good portion has to do with the United States, but I'm working on fixing that in future posts.

1 comment:

  1. i am revising my post!

    1.) my initial reaction to the emergency benefits expiring was that someone needs to help the people that really need the money and that someone needs to deal with the people that are too lazy to work and using the benefits so they don't have to work. The people in the areas that don't have jobs available need to be helped too.
    2.) My first reaction is that i didn't care because things in another country don't really effect me. I didn't realize that it could indirectly effect me.
    3.) My reaction is that the alliances are obvious and i knew that was going to happen. Since the armistice was signed these alliances were in place. Just to let you know, the war never was ended, a peace treaty was never signed. armistice just means seize fire it doesn't mean peace.
    4.) My reaction to this was that they need to clean that toxic waste up. After further thought i realized that they might not have the resources to clean it up. My new solution is that someone should step in that knows how and has the resources to clean it up!
    5.) I don't really know anything about this one so my reaction is going to be cool! I am sorry i can't do better than that.
    6. My initial reaction is wow! I am shocked that in a time in which children are taught more about HIV that the testing rates are so high. How much knowledge do people need in order to eliminate the problem?

    These were my reactions! I don't know how to answer the rest of the questions other than the reactions part. I tried, you have to give me credit for that. If you need more that what i said, let me know! Talk to you tomorrow! I am sending you a note with what i can't post here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...